[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Tournaments Illuminated suggestion

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 19:34:22 PDT 2011

Hmmm.....I guess I'd just have to have really verbose comments.  Like,
"Everybody who has tried this has given us rave reviews.  This dish is both
feast- and campout-friendly (or not)."  Additionally, there are some recipes
I can include, without actually quoting the recipe (mentioning various
sources for periodness of pickles, say, and including spices that they were
pickled with (in lieu of modern dill).  I still think this is doable.  I
just figured someone might be willing to include some favorites.

You guys have way more experience than I.

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> People should be aware that TI now has strict limits on quoting text.
> So strict in fact that they do not care if the material being quoted is out
> of copyright and has been for centuries.
> It is no longer possible in fact to do a recipe survey article for TI where
> one
> quotes actual pre-1700 recipes in full because you'll exceed the
> requirements.
> (You  can no longer take a class of recipes and trace for instance how the
> recipe changes over the centuries.)
>
> "Articles       cannot  be      comprised       of      more    than    15%
>     (10%    is      preferred)      of      quoted  material        from
>  all
> sources combined."
>
> In terms of medieval or the longer more detailed later recipes like Scappi,
> you might be able to quote one original recipe and one recipe only.
> A 2400 word article places a limit of 240 words on quoted text. For Scappi,
> that's often one recipe.
>
> You'll run into the same problems with modern  recipes if they are sourced
> from a modern cookbook or
> the web.
>
> Johnnae
>

> On Aug 2, 2011, at 3:51 AM, Ian Kusz wrote:
>
>  So, if anyone likes/wants, I can collect some of their favorite
>> taste-good,
>> appeal-to-moderns, camp-capable recipes and submit them as a group to TI.
>> snipped

Ian of Oertha