[Sca-cooks] Risotto was Since it is Pennsic I have a totally off-topic is Risotto

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Aug 8 14:03:44 PDT 2011

Here's another take on the history (since I am sure that Stefan needs
more for a file):

http://www.cliffordawright.com/caw/food/entries/display.php/topic_id/29/id/32/

http://www.cliffordawright.com/caw/recipes/display/bycountry.php/recipe_id/727/id/3/pg1/6/
As early as the sixteenth century, the Renaissance chef Cristoforo da
Messisburgo had claimed in his Libro novo [nel qual s’insegna a far
d’ogni sorte di vivande secondo la diversità de I tempi così di carne
come di pesce] that he thought risotto con lo zaffrano (which he
called riso all Ciciliana) was born in Sicily

Note:  These notes are for readers interested in pursuing this history
further:

Messisburgo [also Christofaro di Messisbugo] was published in Venice
in 1557 (see p. 72 of the Arnaldo Forni edition in Testi Antichi de
Gastronomia no. 2 published in 1982).

My claim is not new, see Denti di Pirajno, Alberto. Siciliani a
tavola: itinerario gastronomico da messina a porto empedocle. Milano:
Longanesi, 1970, page 134,
and Maffioli, Giuseppe. La cucina veneziana. Padua: Franco Muzzio,
1982, page 222.

Also see, for the growing of saffron and rice in Arab Sicily, the
extracts of Yaqut’s (b. 1178) Mu’gham al-buldan and al-Qazwini’s (c.
1203-83) Atar al-bilad (Notable things in countries and news about
men) in Amari, Michele, ed. Biblioteca arabo-sicula. versione
italiana. Torino: Ermanno Loescher, 1880-81, vol. (1) page 201 and
vol. (2) page 238, par. 140 as well as al-Muqqadasi’s description of
Sicilian saffron cited in Lewis, Archibald R. Naval Power and Trade in
the Mediterranean, A.D. 500-1100. Princeton: Princeton University
Press, 1951, page 211 and Wright, Clifford A. Cucina Paradiso: The
Heavenly Food of Sicily. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1992, page 111.

How to cook:

http://www.cliffordawright.com/caw/tips.php/id/12/

Johnnae