[Sca-cooks] A potential resource for earlier SCA period foods

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Mon Aug 29 15:20:38 PDT 2011

I've recently been researching the archaeology of Lake Paladru - in
particular the Charavaines site which was settled about 1003-1004 and
subsequently inundated by the Lake about 1030-1040.  The water has
preserved the site, and it is rich in materials from everyday living,
including utensils and remains of foodstuffs.

I checked the archives, but I didn't see this book mentioned so I thought
I would pass it along:

"Gesellschaft und Ernahrung um 1000"
Eine Archaologie des Essens
[Translated loosely as 'society and food around 1000, an archaeology of
meals']

with umlauts:
Gesellschaft und Ernährung um 1000" (Erna:hrung)
Eine Archäologie des Essens (Archa:ologie)

Conference proceedings edited by Dorthee Rippman and Brigitta
Neumeister-Taroni,
Published by the Nestle Aondation Alimentarium (Food Museum)in 2000.
ISBN: 2940284059 9782940284054 2940284040 9782940284047

Even if you don't read German, you may find the illustration collection
useful.

Katherine