[Sca-cooks] collecting books

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Fri Dec 9 16:20:16 PST 2011

<< Ok this OT and OP but if you are into collecting cookbooks, then this
interview will resonate with you anyway. He may be collecting
primarily US Southern Cookbooks but bibliomania of this sort strikes a
chord in those of us who read and collect.

Who can't understand this ---

"I guess that's when I realized I had a little bit of an issue. I mean
I buy cookbooks every other day, sometimes every day. I just love
gathering knowledge and learning and seeing what other people are
doing." http://eater.com/archives/2011/12/09/sean-brock-cookbook-shelf.php Happy reading Johnnae >>

Thank you!

I'd like to add that treating book collecting as an "issue" has a long tradition.

I remember vaguely that the chapter on book collecting in Petraca's De remediis utriusque fortunae mentions several drawbacks, dangers etc..

Thus, the opponent mentions a lot of reasons not to collect books.

The answer is somewhat monotonously:

"I own many splendid/beautiful books".

I love that piece. (I think I saw it in a German translation from the beginning of the 16th century.)

BTW, this book also treats the love of fine food ("Diversis delector ferculis") and other aspects of food.

A 1484 edition of

De remediis utriusque fortunae

is online a the books.google.com website.

E.