[Sca-cooks] Seasonal Food

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sat Dec 17 03:41:51 PST 2011

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:13:06 -0800
From: "David Friedman"  <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA  <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Seasonal Food

I don't know about medieval citrus, but our lemon tree (in San Jose) bears
pretty nearly nonstop around the year, and the tangerine tree came close.

David/Cariadoc
Ours is the same, in our supposedly Mediterranean climate. Although it's
more likely to do so in wetter years. Also we have an orange (Valencia I
think) tree that pretty much continually has oranges on it, unless the
possum has been at it. If you keep picking citrus, it will tend to keep
bearing (if you have a lemon tree that only bears in winter, for instance,
you can encourage it to keep bearing by taking off some of the immature
lemons).

Nevertheless commercially local oranges tend to be available only in winter.

Angharad