[Sca-cooks] Bread baking in December

Dan Schneider schneiderdan at ymail.com
Thu Dec 22 10:23:01 PST 2011

My first reaction is to wonder if this is bread for use in the kitchen (thickening sauces, breadcrumbs for sausages, etc) or as trenchers, as you mention, rather than something they'd be eating as bread for the next few months. I haven't really read up much on German brewing practice, but in the back of my mind there *is* something about brewing a lot around this time of year, for lagering over the cold months-maybe bocks/doppelbocks? In which case, there would be lots of yeast available, at least around the bock breweries...

Dan