[Sca-cooks] More on Skyr

yaini0625 at yahoo.com yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 15:38:05 PST 2011

I will have to admit that skyr is an acquired taste. It doesn't have that sweet taste that is common in regular yogurt. Greek yogurt, even made with goat milk, still has a sweet taste to it. I think that is why I fell in love with the flavor because it has a bit of a tart taste to it.
A good description, " skyr is a light, skim milk based yogurt style cheese." It is considered a very soft cheese which can be confusing.  Now how that compares with yogurt should be interesting. I can resend Jo's recipe for comparison.
Apparently, Whole Foods is now selling skyr.is. This is another version with fruit added and is very yummy very cold.
According to my Sister in Law a few years a go the Icelandic government came to the conclusion that people the people of Iceland were not getting enough fresh fruit and vegetables in their diet. So, mangos, melons and berries were added into a brand of skyr. A huge campaign started to encourage better eating and nutrition. The kids show Lazy Town started off as a stage show in Reykjavik.
Aelina Vesterlundr

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T