[Sca-cooks] Looking for a "gluten-free, plant-based (no animal protein or fat) and low/no fat" recipe ideas

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 18 23:17:06 PST 2011

Tis the time of holidays and pot lucks.

We got a request from my sister-in-law for an early Christmas
gathering and she asked for:
"please make something that is gluten-free, plant-based (no animal
protein or fat) and low/no fat to share"

Huh??? I thought the idea was to share *food*. This request leaves out
almost all tasty food that I can think of, except fruit and certainly
everything that I would consider party/feast/festival foods.

My wife is thinking of some kind of tofu turkey. Shudder. Comments on
this list centered on if you are going to have fake food, why make it
look like real food, and I'm agreeing.

I can see why there were no medieval vegetarians in Iceland. This is
however (I hope) just one meal.

Anyone have some good recipe ideas that fit this restriction? Perhaps
something I might eat if this is the best that shows up? While I try
to bring period recipes to such non-SCA potlucks, I'm open to both
period and non-period foods considering how tight this restriction is.

Thanks,
Stefan
Not a Vegetarian
--------