[Sca-cooks] a Viking-challenge?

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 21:24:25 PST 2011

Apples filled with nuts and honey were common in Scandinavia, Gotland,
Visby, in the Middle Ages. It's very easy to prepare and low fat, only
tricky is the honey if you have many diabetics.
Another thing is rhubarb pie sweetened with lemon and honey, again the
honey.
Or cakes dopped on mead.
Ana

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 6:12 AM, Terri Morgan <online2much at cox.net> wrote:

> I've been asked to provide a dessert for a Viking feast (really, just a
> small gathering of reenactors) that features berries but is low on sugar
> since a few of the guys are diabetic. That's not so rough, but they've
> thrown in "and it needs to be low on fat, as one guy has trouble with fatty
> foods" so that kinda kicked any thoughts of a fried-pie sort of thing out
> of
> my head. Or a simple 'snow' or heavy cream mixed with berries.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion? I'd like to keep it as simple as I can since
> whatever I bring, the guys will assume that it is as close to
> period-correct
> as can be (saving that I plan on using Splenda should I need to sweeten
> anything).
>
> I'm rather down to thinking that a soft goat's cheese mixed with crushed
> berries is going to be the way to go. How boring for their festive
> occasion.
> (They only do this once a year.)
>

> Hrothny, totally too stressed to be creative or wing it from her "available
> foodstuffs of the early Norse" lists.

http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

mobil/cell +4670-3213370

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci