[Sca-cooks] Food and Foodways of Medieval Cairenes: was really interesting, any scholar here in the Arab period?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Dec 19 18:10:22 PST 2011

Food and Foodways of Medieval Cairenes: Aspects of Life in an Islamic
Metropolis of the Eastern Mediterranean. published August 1, 2011?

Brill is a really expensive academic press these days, hence all those
click buttons that will tell your library that you would like to see
their books! Those are there for a reason.

  Let's see. This volume is $268 us dollars or 189 euros. It looks
like it fits in with the Annals of the Caliph's Kitchens. Annals is
now $185 and 135 euros, but we also have the paper copy of that one.
876 pages.

This new one is listed at 580 pages, so they are asking $100 more for
300 fewer pages. Or maybe it has more pages because Worldcat says:
xxi, 626 p. : maps ; 25 cm. It's still far more expensive.

Contents are here:
Table of contents

Preface
Acknowledgments
Introductory Essay: Medieval Cairo and its Inhabitants
Survey of the Sources for the Study of the Medieval Cairene Food Culture

PART I. ON FOOD
Chapter I. The Cairene Menu: Genesis
Chapter II. The Cairene Menu: Ingredients, Products, and Preparations

PART II. ON EATING
Chapter III. The Place to Eat
Chapter IV. Sharing the Table

PART III. ON BEVERAGES AND DRINKING
Chapter V. Non-Alcoholic Beverages
Chapter VI. Alcohol and Its Consumption in Medieval Cairo

BIBLIOGRAPHY
Primary Arabic sources: texts and translations
Non-Arabic primary sources: texts and translations
Secondary literature
---
Those with Brill ebook access can read it online at
http://ebooks.brillonline.nl/book?id=nij9789004194724_nij9789004194724_i-626
--
My guess is that the academic reviews will be out in about 6 months
from now.

should people want to see something of it.

We have it on order here at the library so when it comes in I'll check
it out and see what it contains. Otherwise there aren't really any
discounts to speak of for the volume.

Johnnae