[Sca-cooks] Fruit salad desert was Viking challenge

Saami Mom Yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 17:38:49 PST 2011

Hej Hej!
A favorite in our personal house and Viking household is Berry Fruit Salad/Soup served with or separately with rice pudding or rice cake.
Berry Fruit Salad- this is my Grandmother's recipe
3/4 cup fresh blueberries
3/4 cup fresh strawberries
3/4 cup fresh  blackberries
3/4 cup fresh raspberries
3/4 cup fresh currants or lingon or cranberries
2 tbsp dark berry jelly
1 tbsp orange juice
3 tbsp honey ( may not need to use if using fresh berries. I only have used it when using frozen fruit or spring time fruits)
Mix all ingredients together until creamy. If using frozen fruits they may appear more soupy then creamy. Let stand in refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Can be made the day ahead.
Serve over ice cream, rice pudding or rice pancake
Now I do have my Grandmother's rice pudding recipe. It was and has continued to be a Christmas tradition in our family to have rice pudding with the hidden almond. I inherited her cookbooks and notes and remember gleefully looking for the rice pudding recipe and was happy to find the coveted recipe. So, you can imagine my surprise to read in the margins her hand written note, "buy Cozi Shack it taste as good."
Remember during the Viking Age refined sugar was an expensive commodity. Honey and fresh fruit was much more common to find. There is also archeological evidence of fresh fruit in miden piles.
Bless Bless
Aelina Vesterlundr

Sent by the Collective
Resistance is futile.