[Sca-cooks] Seasonal Food

yaini0625 at yahoo.com yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 20:48:41 PST 2011

A majority of our modern day winter fruit comes from Chili. The different seasons allow us to have citrus during the winter.
Modern farmers have been able to grow genetically alter produce to grow them in different regions and zones to keep the world fed.
Our family participated in an experiment where we grew our own produce and bought other produce through our local CSA. We quickly had to adapt to creating meals based off the seasonal availability of what was offered. I can tell you from this experience that I am going to grow less radishes, more varieties of squash and less kale. We have also preserved much of what we grew for the winter. I will tell you in March if we succeeded in our goal.
I have a working theory that our Grand-cestors did the same thing. The produce they would have grown would have been regional and definitely seasonal. But, preservation and winter preparation would have been an on going project. Especially, if one lives in the Northern countries prone to harsh winters.  From archaeological miden piles seeds found are from local plants and fruits. It is rare to find non-native species in any miden piles. We are fortunate with modern technology to have refrigerated overnight international shipping.
Eating period from a modern grocery store is both easy and hard. Easy because seasonal is fresh and available. Hard becuase of the temptation to eat food out of season and non native fresh and available.
Bless Bless
Aelina

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T