[Sca-cooks] Bread baking in December

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Dec 22 12:07:41 PST 2011

But when did the winter brewing of beers get started?  The baker's leaven of
choice in northern Europe was ale as first noted in Pliny's Natural Histories
and ale was brewed continuously through the year.

Bear

.My first reaction is to wonder if this is bread for use in the kitchen
(thickening sauces, breadcrumbs for sausages, etc) or as trenchers, as you
mention, rather than something they'd be eating as bread for the next few
months. I haven't really read up much on German brewing practice, but in the
back of my mind there *is* something about brewing a lot around this time of
year, for lagering over the cold months-maybe bocks/doppelbocks? In which case,
there would be lots of yeast available, at least around the bock breweries...

Dan

.