[Sca-cooks] SCA-Period Ottoman Recipes I Have Cooked

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 16 13:35:51 PST 2011

Since i'll be teaching another SCA-period Ottoman cooking class at the upcoming West Coast Cooking Symposium, which will be held in the West, i decided to see which recipes i'd cooked already.

It turns out to be more than i had thought. So far i have served and/or taught 28 mid-15th and 16th c. recipes. So i put together a little web page with a list:
http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/OttomanRecipes_I_Cooked.html
I haven't yet linked the titles to my on-line recipes, but i'll be working on that and on getting the missing recipes on-line.

All but one of the original recipes i have translated myself from either modern Turkish, medieval German, or modern French - because my search for someone in my area familiar with Eski Osmali Turkchesi, in which Shirvani wrote and which is like the much earlier Seljuk Turkish, has so far proven fruitless.

Since neither i nor any other scholar has translated all of Shirvani's recipes, i still have about 45 more to go :-)

I welcome any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)