[Sca-cooks] Snowbound?

Moramarsh at aol.com Moramarsh at aol.com
Wed Jan 12 18:47:43 PST 2011

A while back I spoke of  our old pastime of "Mapling" . As in  using maple
sap and snow for a treat.

Looked it up and could not find reference to it. Because we called it by
our local name.

Others call it Maple- Snow Treats.

I found this listed in the gift show promotion several days ago.

Buried  in a Snowstorm?
Kids are sledding, and everyone else  is
wondering when the snow will melt!
We've had our share  of snow here in Greensboro, and we bet that we're not
alone!  Everyone  liked our snowcream recipe so much, that we found another
fun recipe for  snow.
Maple-Snow  Treats
Gather fresh snow from outside,  take it inside (keep it from melting!) and
boil some maple syrup.  It needs  to be real maple syrup.
Add one tablespoon of butter and  stir until melted. Keep stirring for 6-7
minutes so it doesn't boil over.  (You'll know it's ready when the syrup mix
starts to form hard balls when it  drips off the spoon.) Remove from heat.
While the syrup mixture is cooling for a  few minutes, run outside and fill
several plates or roasting pans with snow.  Bring in and drizzle spoonfuls
of the syrup mixture over the snow.
The result: taffy-like maple  candy, just like they made in Laura  Ingalls
Wilder's "Little House in the Big Woods."
Reference of where this came  from.
_shop at colonialtin.com_ (mailto:shop at colonialtin.com)
This recipe is a bit more  complicated.
We used the watered down maple  liquid from the boiling pans at the tree
farms. This was a cheap
and sweet treat for all us  kids.
There is snow in the mountains  but not here.
Mora
Dragonmarsh
Beautiful Downtown Dreiburgen
CAID

In a message dated 1/12/2011 6:30:36 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,