[Sca-cooks] Culinary Symposium update

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 21:45:24 PST 2011

Sorry I haven't been posting more here about the Symposium. My son is now 12
weeks old and has been keeping me rather occupied earning his nickname (the mini
overlord).

First let me say how very excited I am at how things are shaping up, and how
many of you are coming to share! I can't wait to meet Alys Katharine, and the
rest of you I've come to know on this list and I sincerely wish I could take all
of these amazing classes. I've always wanted to take the Ivan Day Italian
Renaissance course so I can't wait to hear about his other classes as well.

Here's some further information to tide you over until our website and new class
pre-registration system is done.

Greetings!

We're ramping up for this year's Culinary Symposium and while I've talked the
ear off of every foodie I've personally run across I know there are likely more
of you out there I haven't had a chance to meet yet. If you're interested in
learning, cooking, teaching or eating we'd love to have you!!

The Culinary Symposium will be April 15-17th at Camp Sheppard in Enumclaw, WA.
Weekend site fee includes a bunk in a heated cabin and there is an optional food
plan for either the weekend or Saturday only so those traveling won't have to
worry about bringing food and can focus on classes. I will be posting further
information once the website and class re-registration system is up and running,
so please stay tuned and let me know if you have any questions.

Some classes we already have lined up are:
Cheese!
Spices: Tracing the Spice Routes
Fermentation in theory and practice
Bread without commercial yeast
Comfit-making,
Photo-tours of Ivan Day courses (including pie- and pastry-making) and the
Hampton Court kitchens,
Photos of  sugar paste exhibit done by Ivan Day and Peter Brears
16th c. Persian polaws/rice dishes
Dining with the Sultan: Cooking 15th & 16th c. Ottoman Food (hands on)
Dining with the Sultan: History of 15th & 16th c. Ottoman Cuisine (lecture)
Tourney cooking with Maitress Anne Marie (hands on)
16th century German cooking/technology class with featured recipes
Historical pottery
Cooking in pottery
Pies/pasties
Pies (Hands on)
Medieval English Street Food (survey/lecture)
and more that I have't yet recieved full information and confirmation for!

Plus a whole track on historical food research papers to be later printed in
symposium proceedings, like they do for Oxford and other academic conferences.
This is being organized by Master Eduardo who has presented at both Oxford's
food symposium and the Renaissance Society of America.

We are currently working on the website and a class pre-registration system so
we're tying to get all the class information in place. If you have offered a
class please get the me the needed details listed below. If you've been
contemplating giving a class, or have offered serveral and haven't yet decided,
consider this a gentle, friendly and happy nudge. :) Please send the information
to me directly at raphaellad at yahoo.com, or the dedicated planning address
foodiejoy at gmail.com.

We need the following information as soon as possible for the website and the
class pre-registration system as they are currently on hold until I can get this
to them:
-Class title
-Brief Class description
-Class minimum / maximum limit (e.g. 2 min, 10 max)
-Hands on / lecture & any class room logistics (e.g. modern or out door cooking
space, etc.)-
PLEASE NOTE: We only have one modern kitchen at the new site- it's a commercial
kitchen outfitted to feed 200, but we'll also be using it to provide a meal plan
-Duration (1 hour increments preferred, but 1/2 hour considered, please plan to
end class 10 minutes before the end of the final hour to allow travel time)
-Any additional class cost?

In joyous service,
Raffaella di Contino
Class Coordinator,