[Sca-cooks] Flour question

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 06:29:04 PST 2011

I am working on the menu for my upcoming A Day in the Middle East feast.
 And I'm having a dandy time going through my new copy of "Annals of the
Caliphs' Kitchens."  In several of the recipes, reference is made to
"...pure, fine *simidh* flour (high in starch and bran-free)...".  The
question is...would this be just a general all-purpose white flour...or
should I use a specialty flour such as bread or cake flour?

Also...and I'm sure we've talked about this before...but please remind me
what I could use in the place of the frequent references to camphor and
musk.  In some places, the reference is to "aromatics" and the two are cited
as examples.  There are a couple of really cool dessert dishes that I'd love
to use but acquiring either of these is a problem...not to mention that I
understand that the musk that's available is a chemical compound used in
perfumes and is poisonous!

Any help you all can render would be appreciated!

Kiri
--
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."