[Sca-cooks] Flour question

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 12:58:15 PST 2011

Thanks to everyone.  I'm probably going to go ahead and use all purpose
flour, though I may try a test batch with cake flour.  And I think I'm going
to take Bear's suggestion and use the coriander as my aromatic.  Given the
ingredients in the cookies, I think that would very compatible!

When I get the menu nailed down, I'll post it for all to see. (And yes, I'm
going to probably do one of the banana dishes!)

Kiri

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> Had a bit of time finally today so I pulled out my copy of Annals of the
> Caliphs' Kitchens to look at the cookies that Kiri is talking about.
> Page 426 for those that care. I note Nawal mentions in a footnote,  "The
> cookies described here are similar to today's traditional Iraqi stuffed
> cookies klecha, made using similar carved wooden molds (qalab)."
>
> Klecha or kleicha recipes seem to use All Purpose Flour. She gives detailed
> instructions in her 2003 cookbook Delights from the Gardens of Eden. There's
> an entire chapter on their history and the variations.
>
> Johnnae

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince