[Sca-cooks] Carrots in period

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Jan 19 12:32:22 PST 2011

Perhaps searching the Florilegium and this list's archives will give
you all the information you want.
Stefan offers this file:
carrots-msg (61K) 6/12/10 Medieval and period carrots. Colors.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/carrots-msg.html

  We've discussed this topic several times. Here's a post from 2006--

Mistress Huette did a summary a few years back of orange carrots
appearing paintings. She wrote at that time-
"Someone commented
about the orange carrots, so I looked at more paintings done by Pieter
Aertsen and Joachim
Beuckelaer and found 14 painting that had carrots of various colors in
them.  Some of the
white carrots might be turnips.  It is hard for me to tell.

Huette"

Unfortunately the links are now broken but if you go to http://www.artrenewal.org
  you can do a search on
these artists and see several works that feature carrots.
---
Also take a look at these sources mentioned at:
http://www.medievalcookery.com/paintings.html

Take a look at the artworks selected for The Netherlands and Flanders,
and you'll see carrots.

Johnnae