[Sca-cooks] Carrots in period

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 22:00:24 PST 2011

Bear said:
<<< Orange carrots appear in 16th Century paintings primarily from the
Netherlands.  Our modern orange carrots are derived from about five strains
of Dutch carrot documented in the 17th Century (IIRC).  We've touched on
this issue several times over the years, so you should be able to find some
of the threads in the florilegium, www.florilegium.org .>>>

Huh? Okay, where'd you get the bit about the five strains of Dutch carrot documented in the 17th C.? I don't remember seeing that before. Are these five strains of orange carrots? Or one strain or orange carrot bred with four other strains of carrots, possibly of different colors?

Every time someone brings up this subject, it seems more, different, information turns up. :-)

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com