[Sca-cooks] Spikenard

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 15:41:07 PST 2011

I'm still not sure that's what I need to use...I'm seeing it as a frequent
ingredient in some of the recipes from the al-Warraq manuscript, and it is
frequently part of a listing of several herbs...like basil and cilantro.
 Any idea what I could substitute that would have a similar flavor?

Your Grace or Urtatim, do either of you know if it was the root or was it
leaves that were used as seasonings in Arabic recipes?

Kiri

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Laureen Hart <lhart at graycomputer.com>wrote:

> I have recently only been able to find Aralia racemosa as plant matter.
> All the Nardostachys grandiflora seems to be as oil.
>
> http://www.herbco.com/p-454-spikenard-root-cs-wild-crafted.aspx
> Background: Aralia racemosa shares the name spikenard with other medicinal
> plants; most are unrelated, as is Nardostachys grandiflora: spikenard.
>
> Its family, Araliaceae, includes the ginsengs. Among tribes of eastern
> North
> America spikenard has been used for centuries and considered a specific in
> benefitting broncho-pulmonary tract conditions. It was used as preventive
> for general care and as a blood purifier.
>
> But Herbco.com is still listing Cubebs....
>
> Randell Raye

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince