[Sca-cooks] Intro- was; Anyone on this list in Denver, CO?

V O voztemp at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 10:46:36 PST 2011

Thank you Stefan.

I have been interested in cooking for a long time, something my mother did on
those rainy/snowy days with us kids (you know, when they start to say "I'm
bored, what can I do now?")  She made us a Huge batch of cinnamon roll dough and

let us make our own, however we wanted.  It ocupied us for hours, and taught me
at least, to love experimenting with food.

I have done several feasts, and love to play with the different flavors,and
unusual things that cooks in our time periods did, so unlike and yet not really
that different from our tastes today.  I am an artsy-fartsy person, so I love to

make it beautiful, but also do foods that are filling and the fussy people in
our group will eat.   I did a midwinter feast where the chickens were all
covered by painted salt dough sculptures of mythological figures, and the head
table got a peacock in its splendor, with over 100 real feathers displayed from
the salt dough cover.  Another feast for 12th night, the theme was gambling, so
we made things like square dice with hardboiled eggs and sugarpaste painted
playing cards.

Just in general, I like getting those who say they don't like period food, to
taste things and maybe change their minds.  I like making period foods/recipes
that those sceptics can't say ewwwww, to, because it dosn't look or taste out of

their comfort range or preconcieved mindset about period foods.

I enjoy looking through my roommates over 500 cookbooks, with about half of
those being period cookbooks, to find new an interesting recipes.  Or just to
reserch something interesting online as well as our combined cookbook
resources.   I also collect old cookbooks and recipes from where ever I can find

them, like thrift stores and estate sales.  I have one victorian baking book
that is from an old bakery and give the quantities for full scale baking.  And
also interesting recipes like Baumkuchen (treecake), which my roommate and I are

reserching to play with the recipe for ourselves.

I collect springerle cookie molds, and am in the process of documenting them
back as far as I can.  So if anyone here has an old recipe or information on
them I would love to talk to you further.

I have been meaning to join this group, but was just reminded to do so when the
thing about the cheese in the dutch paintings came up again a couple weeks ago.

Yes, I am the one who started that disscussion on another group and I guess it
was brought to you all here.  When I get the reserch done on it I will share
with you all.  I have made big strides in it since then and gotten some great
new info, and I think I have a pretty good conclusion as to what it is.  I don't

know when I will get a chance to experiment with making the cheese, but I can
write up my deductions and hypothisis on it.

I wanted to clear up a small misunderstanding from a gentil here, the smoked
cheese from Poland that was found, is not the cheese in the paintings, but it is

a documentable to 1416 cheese in an unusual shape (other than round) still made
today.

So for the most part I just like cooking, all its aspects.  The time periods we
play injust open up so much more interesting recipes and ingredients to play
with.

Thank you, I look forward to reading this list and discussing things with you
all.

Mirianna Wrenne of Ravenswood
Kingdom of the Outlands
Barony of Caerthe

(oh!  look!  The nice mailman just brought me a new, (old) cookbook I got on
ebay!  I need to see whats in it!!!  By for now..............  :-)

>>>First Mirianna, I want to thank both you and Gwen Cat for replying to my
>>>inquiry. I've sent both you emails explaining further my reason for the inquiry.
>>>
>>>I still have no idea whether I might end up there for a while or not, but your

I'd also like to welcome you to this list. Since the list has been a bit quiet
lately, I'd also like to take advantage of this and ask you if anything specific

brings you to this list and what your level or interest in medieval foodstuffs
might be.

We have folks of all levels here, from those just learning to cook, much less
medievally, to those who have cooked feasts for hundreds to cookbook authors and

major cookbook and food researchers. We have people who have cooked
professionally and people who just cook a medieval meal now and then. <<<<