[Sca-cooks] Redaction

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Jan 24 18:35:46 PST 2011

To redact is to edit and prepare something written for publication.
Redaction is the edited product.  Redacting is the act of preparing a
redaction.  If I take a medieval recipe and put it into a form that is
understandable by the general public to publish it in some manner, I am
redacting a recipe.

If I take the redacted recipe and prepare a modern recipe from it (no matter
how close it is to the original), am I redacting or am I adapting?  I tend
to use the word adaptation to describe this particular product.

I believe the word redaction is commonly misused to describe adaptation, but
I am not a fanatic about it  I believe your audience will understand either
word to mean "a period recipe in modern form."

Bear