[Sca-cooks] oxtail soup

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 25 17:53:16 PST 2011

> yes, i'm assuming it was period as pheasants would use lesser pieces of the animals.... :)

huh? I thought pheasants were vegetarian, eating grains and grass seeds, or do they also eat insects?

Some info:
fowls-a-birds-msg (98K) 6/11/06 Period fowls and birds. Period Chickens.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/fowls-a-birds-msg.html

Or did you mean peasants? I'll assume the latter. I would agree, however, you also need to take care because what we consider lesser pieces of animals now, does not necessarily apply to the Middle Ages.

There is some indication in period that various organs were more highly valued than mere muscle meat. See how prey from a hunt was often divided up, for instance. From a nutritional aspect many organs do have added value in minerals and vitamins compared to just muscle. Of course exceptions can be found to nutrition having a higher value when you see the whitest bread going to the nobles.

I can't see ox tail having much value, though. We do have a large number of recipes using organs and 'lesser' cuts.

organ-meats-msg (102K) 9/24/10 Period cooking of organ meats, unusual parts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/organ-meats-msg.html

liver-msg (46K) 1/15/08 Medieval cooking of liver. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/liver-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com