[Sca-cooks] OT - G'day Lords and Ladies and more on pies

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 10:15:24 PST 2011

I'm not an Aussie, nor do I play one on TV...but I lived in Papua New Guinea
for a year and had a lot of Aussie friends.  Probably the most disgusting
thing I ran into that they LOVE is Vegemite.  They eat it (at least those of
my acquantance did) like we eat peanut butter.  They threw wonderful parties
and seemed to have huge appetites for both beer and for food.  I also ran
across a drink, very potent I might add, called a Black Velvet...equal
parts, IIRC, of Cold Duck and porter.  I first encountered it at a birthday
party and was feeling no pain at all after only a couple of punch ups full.
 Whew!!

Kiri

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:02 AM, V O <voztemp at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I saw a picture of these online, they truly look disgusting.  I didn't want
> disparage a locals custom, but eating them when well inebriated makes a lot
> more
> sense.  And/or, selling them to the silly uninformed tourists that want to
> try
> local delicacies.......  well I guess it is a case of buyer beware.
>

> My roommate and I just had a discussion about Australian foods, as an area
> of
> foods that we do not really have much information about.  What 'Are' foods
> that
> are common to your country, not really found outside?  Things that you
> would
> take a foreigner to try to show off the local cuisine?  And are there any
> cook
> books you would recommend to get these recipes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mirianna

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince