[Sca-cooks] snails and puppy dog tails...

V O voztemp at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 07:35:17 PST 2011

Probably because of the cost of oysters and snails, and the fact that having
something that only a few people would enjoy on a feast menu would not go over
very well.  Can you imagine the uproar if you said to feasters, "Oh, we are
having this item that only 5 out of 20 people will like, but we are chargeing
you all the same price, and you don't get another dish to replace this one if
you don't like it." And; "Oh, buy the way 2/3rds of the feast price is in this
one dish..........."  Yeah, that would go over well.................

>>>Both of those show up in medieval recipes. But you are unlikely to find them on
>>>an SCA feast table. Unfortunately.<<<<

Were they from Nebraska by any chance?  I got that sandwich from my Mom, who had
it from when she was a child.  She is from Nebraska, and during the depression.
Maybe its a midwest kind of thing.

Mirianna

<<< I am sure there are things I like that others would say yuck to, like
peanutbutter and dill pickle sandwiches.................. >>>

Oh my. I haven't known someone who liked that "delicacy" except a childhood
friend about 35 years ago.

Stefan