[Sca-cooks] sourdough and hooch

K C Francis katiracook at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 13:14:55 PST 2011

I've had my starter since the mid 70's and only feed/use it every few months.  It does develope a goodly amount of hooch and I always stir it all back in per the instructions that came with it.  I've never had any crust form or any problem with mold.  I keep it in a plastic container that has a good lid but can release pressure if the just refreshed sponge got overly lively.  For the overnight proofing, I used to put the bowl under my waterbed, the perfect draftfree and warm place.  Now I set the bowl in the microwave with the door ajar so the lightbulb is on, again a perfect proofing place.  Now if only I had a gas oven with pilot light........

I use mine mostly for pancakes and an outrageously moist cake that I make in chocolate and spice versions...no frosting needed or even wanted.

Katira