[Sca-cooks] snails and puppy dog tails...

Antonia dama.antonia at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 13:52:31 PST 2011

On 28/01/2011 4:35 AM, V O wrote:
> Probably because of the cost of oysters and snails, and the fact that having
> something that only a few people would enjoy on a feast menu would not go over
> very well.  Can you imagine the uproar if you said to feasters, "Oh, we are
> having this item that only 5 out of 20 people will like, but we are chargeing
> you all the same price, and you don't get another dish to replace this one if
> you don't like it." And; "Oh, buy the way 2/3rds of the feast price is in this
> one dish..........."  Yeah, that would go over well.................

*shrug*

I haven't seen oysters or snails at a feast, but I'd certainly consider
doing oysters if I could get some nice ones at a good price.  We've
certainly had mussels before.  I figure about 2/3 of people would eat
them, and the other 1/3 would just eat more of other things.  In
general, I have absolutely no expectation that every person will like
every dish.

I don't know how we'd get to 2/3 of the feast price, since they're about
$1 each, and I'd only do them as an appetiser in a feast with a plump
budget.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,