[Sca-cooks] Bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jan 27 15:48:05 PST 2011

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by period breadmaking.  General
techniques haven't varied since Egypt in 3000 BCE.  The ingredients are
flour, water, leaven and salt.  Basically, you have a choice between
sourdough and ale barm (the modern incarnation being active yeast).
Chemical leavens are out.  You have a choice in double or single rise (and
possibly peggy-tubby) and justify your choice.  There are a limited number
of recipes available in the European corpus and most of those are not
professional baking.  The major difference really is in the ovens.

It might be a little easier to provide assistance if we knew what the rules
of the competition are and what you are trying to do with the competition.

Bear