[Sca-cooks] Tart de Bry - ruayn cheese?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 28 04:37:17 PST 2011

On Jan 28, 2011, at 1:06 AM, wheezul at canby.com wrote:

> The author of this blog has an opinion:
>
> http://www.forgedintime.com/bladesmithing-blog/tag/rowen/
>
> I tried searching for the modern equivalent of ruayn which is rowen
> according to the OED so there may be more information out there under the
> modern word.  What I gether from the scattered references in the OED is
> that the cows were put to pasture to fatten one the new growing tender
> green grass and the quality of the milk improved.

I had always assumed Chese Ruayn was cheese from Rouen, in Normandy (where Brie comes from), or cheese made locally in that style. There is still a cheese made and sold in the area around Rouen called Rouennais (although I have no proof it's the same product). Looks kinda like square Brie or Camembert, with black stuff, presumably mold, on the outside.

It could be made gratable by the simple expedient of aging it less.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter