[Sca-cooks] dental was Green stuff and brown glop

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jan 28 12:15:38 PST 2011

A quick search through various databases doesn't wholeheartedly
support this notion that their teeth were perfect because
they didn't eat sugar.
Here's one abstract that notes the typical treatments. Br Dent J. 2004
Oct 9;197(7):419-25.
Dental treatment in Medieval England. By T. Anderson

Medieval (12th-14th century) medical literature suggests that care of
the teeth was largely limited to non-invasive treatment. Cures, mainly
for toothache and "tooth worm" were based on herbal remedies, charms
and amulets. Bloodletting was advised for certain types of toothache.
There is also documentary evidence for powders to clean teeth and
attempts at filling carious cavities. Surgical intervention for oral
cancer and facial fracture is also known. Post-operative infection and
abscess formation can be identified and early forms of false teeth are
mentioned.

Another study noted that chronic inflammatory disease of the maxillary
sinus was present and "In contrast to the present-day situation, we
found dental infection to be a major cause of maxillary sinusitis."

Johnnae, playing librarian