[Sca-cooks] some liver and other offal recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 28 17:34:29 PST 2011

Guillaume said:
<<< I particularly enjoy the fried calf liver from Lancelot de Casteau's
Ouverture de cuisine.

Fried calf liver.
Cut the liver into slices, & coat them with white flour, & fry them in
black butter, & put therein pepper & orange juice.

Given the audience and location, I use sour orange juice when making
this, but it sweetens up when it hits the hot pan. I put enough pepper
in to brighten the orange juice, but not really to be tasted as a
particularly strong pepper taste >>>

What is the "black butter"? You seem to have used just regular butter. Why?

Thanks,
  Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com