[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 57, Issue 80

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 09:47:34 PST 2011

Hi Stefan,
For a tasting table it is just that, small bites to folks can taste samples of
things.  Usually it is a selection of dishes brought by various members each
pick a dish to prepare and bring.  It is best to pick something bite sized (so a
roast would be cut into small cubes for the table) and in this case something
that did not require more than a toothpick or fork to eat (and for 12th night,
with space limitations I was suggesting finger food is fine!)

The idea is to provide several options (we have not in the past limited it to
one cook book or one area, but instead opted to provide a broad selection so
that hopefully everyone found SOMETHING tasty to sow the seed that period food
can be yummy food.

The Stewpot also did this to good success, and they had a way to print recipe
cards that were wonderful, I had to go with just plain paper.

I dont know what was left as I went home before the event ended and the table
was cleared, but usually folks are not shy about tasting samples.  After all, it
is only one bite... most will at least try something, and often that is all it
takes.

For tasting tables I will focus on familiar/safe/not too strange foods, after
all, the idea is to get em to try it and like it.  For A&S entries on the other
hand, I like the more exotic things (Sauerkraut grown in the garden, fermented
(in a one gallon glass jar with a fermentation lock to not anoy the neighbors,
cooked, and served with Blutwurst, also made from scratch (though I did not grow
the cow ;-) or the tounge with onions and apples.)

PURR
Gwen Cat