[Sca-cooks] chantrelles and SCA place names

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 15:54:38 PST 2011

Chantarelles are Swedens most appreciate ,mushrooms, a delicacy to reindeer
or eelk.
Ana

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:44 AM, Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>wrote:

> Juana Isabella said:
> <<< Or in the Barony of Allyshia where the chantrelles grow wild and they
> are most profligate with them at their feasts. Chantrelle soup for 100 from
> a bunch of poor college students anyone? >>>
>
> I didn't know what a "chantrelles" was, so I did some web searching. They
> are a wild mushroom. I just hope the pickers know what they are doing.
>
> "Other related chanterelle species are also edible, but don't confuse the
> chanterelle with the poisonous Jack O'Lantern(Omphalotus olearius), a larger
> mushroom that grows clustered on dead wood, with gills that are not forked
> or divided."
>
> Sounds like it could be good, though.
>
> Another interesting comment, from the same site,
> http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com
>
> "The chanterelle is one of the world's best-known choice wild mushrooms.
> Professional pickers strip clean forests in the Pacific Northwest, ship the
> chanterelles to France in refrigerated pLn.s, can them, and return them to
> the US as expensive imported French gourmet mushrooms!"
>
> And on a totally different topic, do you know how this barony got its name
> or what it stands for? I don't have it in any of my placenames-msg files in
> the SCA-STORIES section.
>
> If anyone knows the history and story behind any SCA placename, and the
> story is not already in any of the Florilegium placenames-msg files, I'd
> love to get it. Often the groups heraldry also has a connection to where the
> name came from. If you've been dying to get your name into the Florilegium
> and just haven't been able to do it, and don't want to write an article,
> here is your chance...
>
> If you do a search on a group name using the search engine at the top of
> the Florilegium, and none of the placenames-msg files show up, then I don't
> have that history.
>
> Stefan
>
> --------
>   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci