[Sca-cooks] Getting bread into the oven

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jan 15 19:47:48 PST 2011

<clipped>
> One thing that struck me about their instructions and some others is that
> they let the dough rise on a bread peel, a paddle shaped board, with corn
> flour under the dough to keep it from sticking, then slide the dough from
> that into the oven, often onto a hot baking stone. I'm not sure what the
> point of that somewhat elaborate procedure is. Why not have the dough
> rising on a cookie sheet or equivalent, something that can go into the
> oven, then put it in? If you are using a baking stone, you presumably
> don't get the full effect, since the cookie sheet is between the stone and
> the bread--but a cookie sheet is metal and thin, so I wouldn't expect it
> to make much difference.
>
> Can anyone more familiar with bread baking explain?
> --
> David/Cariadoc

They're being purists.  The primary reasons for using a peel are deep ovens
and large loaves.

The baking sheet will work if you don't get a temperature differential in
the metal surface.  With the method you describe and a bakestone, I would
try using a metal surface smaller than the stone to minimize such
differentials.  Personally, if I were using a bakestone, I would load the
dough directly on the stone.  If not, then I would one of my flat air
cushion baking sheets (which helps even the heat at the bake surface),
scatter cornmeal to keep the dough from sticking during the rise, and load
sheet and all into the oven.

Be advised that darker colored baking sheets (such as the coated non-stick
ones) produce a higher temperature at the bake surface than shiny ones.

Bear