[Sca-cooks] Flour question

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jan 16 12:05:58 PST 2011

Had a bit of time finally today so I pulled out my copy of Annals of the
Caliphs' Kitchens to look at the cookies that Kiri is talking about.
Page 426 for those that care. I note Nawal mentions in a footnote,
"The cookies described here are similar to today's traditional Iraqi
stuffed cookies klecha, made using similar carved wooden molds (qalab)."

Klecha or kleicha recipes seem to use All Purpose Flour. She gives
detailed instructions in her 2003 cookbook Delights from the Gardens
of Eden. There's an entire chapter on their history and the variations.

Johnnae