[Sca-cooks] Getting bread into the oven

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 18:10:15 PST 2011

I have this book and have used it many times.  You will not get the same
affect if you rise on a metal baking sheet and then put it in the oven but
if you don't care about that then go ahead.  I use the peel because I have
one although I do not shake it on to the baking stone - I usually use a
large spatula to transfer the bread.  I do not find this a nuisance or
excessively "purist" - I think it works very well and the corn meal helps
the bread not stick because it is a very wet dough.  I believe the request
for a peel is not for a deep oven but to more easily transfer the risen
dough to the oven and if you have the skills for shaking it onto the stone
all the better.

Go ahead and do it your own way but I find their instructions and their
doughs to be very nice.  The reason they don't have a "sour dough" per se is
that if you leave the dough in the fridge for a couple of days it takes on
the flavor of a sour dough without having to keep a starter.

Shoshana