[Sca-cooks] Pineapple was Carrots in period

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jan 22 09:55:36 PST 2011

> ROTFL.
> Sorry, Stefan. I find that highly amusing. I guess there wasn't much wild
> carrot around where you grew up?
> Incidentally, you can grow pineapples the same way. That is, you slice the
> top off a pineapple and plant it. This is actually how they grow
> pineapples
> commercially (at least in Australia).
>
> Angharad

You can also grow pineapple from seed.  I gather it is a little tricky and
that it is primarily done under controlled conditions for hybridization.
Seeds aren't used commercially because pollination reduces the quality of
the fruit.

For commercial purposes, pineapple plants are grown from tops, suckers,
ratoons and slips.  Different varietals appear to produce better from
different kinds of plantings.  The plantings also appear to have regional
variation within a varietal.  Australia tends to use the "Smooth Cayenne"
varietal, which reproduces best there from tops and slips.  The same
varietal in South Africa is best planted from medium sized slips.

Bear