[Sca-cooks] oxtail soup

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Jan 24 05:25:24 PST 2011

And it may not appear in the early cookery books.

 From A history of food  By Maguelonne Toussaint-Samat:
"Oxtail soup, however, regarded as very English, could have arrived in
the country with French emigres during the Revolution; Menon's La
cuisiniere bourgeoise of 1774 contains a recipe (p. 43) for queue en
hochepot."

OED says:
   The tail of an ox, used esp. as an ingredient in cooking. Hence
(more fully oxtail soup): soup made from oxtail or having a beef
flavouring.

1834    H. W. Brand Simpson's Cookery v. 64   Ox-tail soup. Blanch two
ox-tails, cut into pieces of a size suited to be served at table.

1970    A. L. Simon & R. Howe Dict. Gastron. 286/1   It is said the
first ox-tail soup was made by a starving French nobleman during the
Reign of Terror.

Johnnae