[Sca-cooks] Redaction

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jan 25 04:59:35 PST 2011

I like that one.
I own several more of these because as far back as when I was working
at Illinois, I had people
(would be cookbook writers referred to me for advice on writing a
cookbook). I owned several of the guides and I started
collecting more on the topic to show people. Some liked one volume;
others liked another.
I also collected all the guidelines from the various community
cookbook publishers because
some people wanted to see what each offered.
(Morris Press Cookbooks, for instance-- I suspect I am the only person
on this list who has been past their store
in Nebraska to see what they offered.)

Unusual ones--
Several years back I came across and bought- Cardinal's Handbook of
Recipe Development by Evelyn Hullah. This is a Canadian volume so it's
good for making one think about liters and weights that Americans
don't commonly think about.
I also have the IACP guidelines (Food Writing Guidelines) which most
people will never have heard of
and won't be able to find because IACP doesn't offer it any longer.

Of course the field has changed. Dianne Jacob's Will Write for Food
now goes more into blogging and websites. Everyone used to try to
break into the field by writing for a newspaper or trying for a
magazine. Now it's a blog. Big differences between the
2005 and 2010 volumes.

Food styling is the next big thing of course. Lots of books on that
last year and fewer on writing. Lots there on styling for the web.

Johnnae