[Sca-cooks] OT - G'day Lords and Ladies and more on pies

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 14:08:40 PST 2011

They're actually pretty good. Taste like... no, not chicken ;-) More
like roasted nuts. They were cooked and crunchy when I tasted them. I
wouldn't mind repeating the experience.

Crickets, on the other hand, have more shell than substance. Rather
like eating unshelled sunflower seeds. Meh.

If you want something with a little more meat, in my (very limted)
experience, what you want is scorpion.

The Montreal Insectarium did insect tastings every year; we must have
gone at least three years in a row. They had real food; seasoned
properly, cooked so they'd be at their best; not just reduced to a
powder and used to bake cookes, or dipped in thick chocolate so you'd
forget they were there.

I think we have a lot of cultural fears and dislikes about food, that
have absolutely no other reason to exist than the fact that nobody we
know eats those things.

But I admit insects are hard to imagine as a food item in... I was
going to say North America, but maybe I should say the Western
world...