[Sca-cooks] OT - G'day Lords and Ladies and more on pies

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 15:55:16 PST 2011

Like what, pray tell?

Granted, I was in Australia in 1974/75, so I am sure things have changed a lot since then.  But their jello then was just the same as ours.

I have tried vegemite.  It wasn't horrible, but it isn't something I will eat normally.  Then the only ice cream they had was gelato and it was as thin as ice milk.  Yech.  But since there have been some gelato places that have opened up here in Los Angeles, the gelato has improved and I am sure it has in Australia also.  I was in Adelaide back then also, but never heard of or was told about pie floaters.  But it was in Adelaide that I had my first proper English tea and fell in love with clotted cream.  Sigh.

I was fortunate that I had an Australian penpal and I stayed with her family in Melbourne and in Adelaide, Sydney and Camberra with friends of hers.  I remember how wonderful and friendly the people were.  I also remember having more lamb in the two months I stayed than I have had the rest of my life.  Yum.

Oh for the wild adventurous life I had as a young adult.  I would love to do it all over again.  I would even go visit Ryal Castle again, if it still exists.  LOL.

Huette