[Sca-cooks] Egredouce - i.e. Glop

Philip Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 27 14:00:39 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 14:53 -0600, Michael Gunter wrote:
> Here is the version of Egredouce I made as part of my A&S project. Sorry that it isn't
> in modern recipe format, I'll try to simplify it a bit. Not putting in modern recipe
> format cost me a couple of points at the Gulf Wars A&S Champion competition.  :-)
>
> Take Porke or Beef, whether the likey, & leche it thinne thwerte; then broyle it broun
> a litel, & then mynce it lyke Venyson; choppe it in sewe, then caste it in a potte & do
> ther-to Freyssh brothe; take Erbis, Onynonys, Percely & Sawge, & other gode erbis,
> then lye it vppe with brede; take Pepir & Safroun, pouder Canel, Vynegre, or Eysel
> Wyne, Brothe an Salt, & let yet boyle to-gederys, tylle they ben y-now, & than serue it
> forth rennyng.
>
> My reading:
> Take pork or beef, whichever you prefer, and slice it thin crosswise; then broil it brown a little,
> and then mince it like Venison; chop it in the drippings and then put it into a pot and add fresh
> broth (light chicken broth); take herbs, onions, parsley and sage and other good herbs, then
> thicken it with bread; take pepper and saffron, cinnamon, vinegar or else wine, broth and salt,
> and let it boil together, until they be cooked enough and then serve it forth hot.

I'm getting the aigre part -- vinegar, but where's the douce? I think
this is the first egredouce I've ever seen that doesn't have a
sweetening agent... I believe most of the recipes I've seen have been
for sort of sweet-and-sour dried-fruit chutney sauce over fried fish or
meat.

Oh, and folks? You know how you occasionally see someone say, "And this
is exactly one of those times when checking Johnna's Concordance would
be a good idea"?

I think this might be one of those times... ;-)

Adamantius (away from his desk right now, but later)