[Sca-cooks] snails and puppy dog tails...

Antonia dama.antonia at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 14:09:36 PST 2011

On 28/01/2011 7:32 AM, Terry Decker wrote:
> One of the issues is presentation.  If something looks odd and it is
> presented to the table badly, fewer people want to try the dish.  A
> case in point is a German dish I prepared that is essentially a
> pudding of cold peas.  I had directed that it be served to the table
> in a bowl with a sprinkle of sugar.  The bowls got used elsewhere in
> the plating and the dish was served as uneven lumps of green glop on
> the tray.  The visual effect was unappetizing to say the least,
> although those who tried it found it quite edible.

I completely agree with this-- everything should be presented as nicely
as possible.  Aside from having the right vessel and paying attention to
having a variety of couolurs, nice garnishes cover a multitude of sins.

> Other than price, I have no particular problem present odd dishes at a
> feast, but my recent experience has left me a little gunshy on the
> presentation.  I will say that odd dishes go best if there is plenty
> of plainer fare so that the less adventureous don't feel slighted.

I wonder what it is that everyone considers "odd"?

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?