[Sca-cooks] snails and puppy dog tails...

Kathleen Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Thu Jan 27 14:34:00 PST 2011

On 28/01/2011 6:18 AM, V O wrote:
> I know in some Kingdoms you have things like all day feasts, and that it can be
> the center of an event.  Here we have so much antagonism and blase attitudes
> toward "period" foods, that if someone tried to do, "unusual", the event and the
> feast would fail.

hi mirianna!

oh, i don't know.  too much unusual, yes i would think so in a carnivore kingdom. ;)   but some unusual or something not often done slipped in with the familiar can work pretty well.

i try to make a menu of period food that is general populace friendly (there is a lot out there) and put in something unusual somewhere.   fortunately my husband is a pretty good guinea pig in both taste and temperament.   his bugaboo is texture, as it is with many people... good lesson to learn.

at midwinter it was shrimp in a sticky sauce.   everyone thought it would tank pretty much, but not one came back.  now i did hear of some games of chance or fisticuffs at a table or two for the uneaten ones, and granted i only allowed one (32 count, i recall) per person on a appetizer course, but still....  i was expecting at least 25% of them to come back to the kitchen.

unexpected at a feast for 300, but still familiar.

cailte