[Sca-cooks] Bread

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jan 27 17:15:34 PST 2011

Have you read 52 Loaves: One Man's Relentless Pursuit of Truth,
Meaning, and a Perfect Crust" by William Alexander?

It's the equivalent of "Julie/Julia", except this was a guy who was
setting out to make his perfect loaf of bread. He's the author of "The
$64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and
Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden" and
he's approaching bread baking in the same fashion. In other words all
out compulsive pursuit! It's funny. Sometimes, one needs a food
history that is funny. Amazon has a good summary of it on their website.

The author also has a website on the book at:
http://williamalexander.com/bread/index.cfm

His general website is: http://williamalexander.com/index.htm

Have you read English Bread and Yeast Cookery by Elizabeth David or
History of Bread by Dupaigne? I think Bear mentioned Six Thousand
Years of Bread: Its Holy and Unholy History.

Johnnae