[Sca-cooks] Encouraging Period Cooking

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Jan 27 15:05:42 PST 2011

>  > I know in some Kingdoms you have things like all day
>>  feasts, and that it can be the center of an event.?
>>  Here we have so much antagonism and blase attitudes
>>  toward "period" foods, that if someone tried to do,
>>  "unusual", the event and the feast would fail.?
>>
>>  Mirianna
>
>Changing the cultural attitudes of a kingdom is often a lengthy
>process. This includes the negative attitudes toward period food.
>
>Make very tasty food and be generous with it. Only after the tasters
>have eaten it and been pleased do you tell them that it is period.
>i.e. fool them into liking period food :-)

Note that this can be done on an individual scale. We routinely bring
period nibbles to events and offer them to anyone who wants to try
them.

Something else we have done that seems to help is to hold cooking
workshops in our house. Everyone is welcome, people are asked to tell
us a day or two in advance if they are coming. We select period
recipes and make sure we have the ingredients. When you arrive,
typically about one on a Saturday afternoon, we hand you  a stack of
recipes. You pick one. Everyone spends the afternoon cooking one
recipe, tasting everyone's recipes, making comments for the next try
of the recipe. It's a low key friendly kind of activity, and ends up
with more people knowing both that period food can be fun and then
cooking from a period recipe isn't all that hard.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com