[Sca-cooks] Egredouce - i.e. Glop

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 27 22:23:41 PST 2011

Gunthar replied to Admantius with:
<<< I'm getting the aigre part -- vinegar, but where's the douce? I think
this is the first egredouce I've ever seen that doesn't have a
sweetening agent... I believe most of the recipes I've seen have been
for sort of sweet-and-sour dried-fruit chutney sauce over fried fish or
meat. >>>

I fully agree and was rather confused about that as well.
The recipe comes from Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks p. 31/58

I keep wondering if this was a simple pottage and mis-titled.
I'd like to find the real name but I'll keep making it.
=========

Thank you. I was trying to categorize exactly what an "egredouce" was, so I could figure out where to place Gunthar's message and recipe in the Florilegium. Most "egredouce" I seem to have in the Florilegium are currently in the sauces-msg file. But Gunthar's dish seemed more like the kind of things I had in the stews-bruits-msg file, so I put it there. Gunthar's seemed to be more like small chunks of meat in a sauce rather than slices of meat with a sauce over it.

So, more like a stew or more like slices of meat with a required sweet and sour sauce? The latter doesn't sound like "glop", though.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com