[Sca-cooks] Lamingtons

Michael Gunter dookgunthar at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 29 08:17:35 PST 2011

> I never had lamington...in fact I'm not even sure what it is. But pavlovas
> were very popular and I enjoy eating them to this day. So what exactly is
> lamington?
>
> Kiri

Per Wikipedia:
A Lamington is a sponge cake in the shape of a cuboid, coated in a layer of traditionally
chocolate icing then desiccated coconut. Lamingtons are sometimes served as two halves
with a layer of cream and/or strawberry jam between, and are commonly found in Australasian
outlets such as cafes, lunch bars, bakeries, and supermarkets. The raspberry variety is more
common in New Zealand, while a lemon variety has been encountered in Australia.[1]
The chocolate coating is a thin mixture, into which cubes of sponge cake (one cookbook states 4
cm per side) are dipped, and the chocolate is absorbed into the outermost layers of the sponge
where it sets. (Similarly, the strawberry jam or chocolate icing is absorbed into the sponge.)
The cubes are then covered with coconut and left to set.

Gunthar