[Sca-cooks] Panforte

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jan 29 11:24:55 PST 2011

I've got a stack of recipes on candying fruits, roots, and peels, and I plan
on trying them out, including candied squash or gourd (depending on what I
can find, Oklahoma not being as kind as the Coasts).

Remember that "panforte" means "strong bread." There are two types of
panforte.  One is honey, fruit and nuts with a little flour mixed in and no
leaven and no water.  It doesn't show up in the 19th Century Italian
cookbooks I have, although it has similarity to period lebkuchen.  I think
there is a modern recipe for it out in the Florilegium.  The second panforte
is a sweetened bread with spice, fruit and nuts it does use leaven and water
and is found in the 19th Century cookbooks.  The original 16th Century
recipe I used calls for flour, water and bigo with more water than honey.
It is obviously a bread recipe for a sweetened but not enriched bread.  It
might also be classed as a great cake in that era.

My choices are based on experience with sweet doughs.  I am working by
weight for precision.  The spices I am using are very fresh and they provide
a pleasant bite without being overpowering.

You should be able to increase the cloves and the cumin to 1/2 teaspoon
without much problem.  At 1 teaspoon, the pepper is very noticeable.  The
saffron doesn't seem to add much to the bread, so it may need to be
increased (or just omitted to keep costs down).  If in small pieces, the
fruit could be doubled, but I would recommend not reducing the amount of
dough or you run the risk of having too much fruit push through the crust.
Use the 1/2 cup of flour with the candied fruit to keep it from sticking
together.

The six cups of flour to the two cups of water and quarter cup of honey
produces a soft, sticky dough.  The additional cup (or portion thereof) of
flour produces a hard, less sticky dough.  You can increase the honey to a
half cup, but you may need more flour than the six cups to form the basic
soft, sticky dough.  If you are not measuring ingredients by weight, YMMV
quite a bit from mine.  And remember, the stickier the dough, the more flour
you will use during kneading and shaping.

The end product is similar to raisin bread, but more interesting in my
opinion.

Bear